Amex Mono® seal supports Hamburg Wasser in repairing their old and historic sewage pipes
Hamburg's pipeline infrastructure is over 100 years old in many places. With a population of almost 1.8 million people, it is important that wastewater is disposed of properly and that the pipes that transport the wastewater are kept in good condition.
In 2023, Amex Sanivar was commissioned to provide a flexible and sustainable solution for repairing leaking joints in Hamburg's sewage system. Hamburg Wasser chose to work with the Amex Mono® seal due to its many benefits.
There are a number of challenges created by working on such old pipes that serve so many people. First, the pipelines can’t be emptied or shut off. This creates hygiene problems for the workers as working in flowing sewage is hazardous. Secondly, many of the segments needing repair are approximately 85 meters under the earth – creating logistical problems for equipment and other solutions. Finally, given the size of the pipes (DN 2600), extra infrastructure was required to allow the workers to have a place to both sit and work.
Due to the help and engineering of SMG Bautenschutztechnik, a bypass system was created to allow the pipe to remain functional, but also provide a clean workspace for the installers to be able to work. To date 96 Amex® Seals have been installed, with another 90 planned. The installers work in segments of 2-10 joints at a time. The project has been so successful, that it appeared in a documentary from NDR.
Amex Mono® Specifications
How it works
● Amex® Seals are composed of EPDM, NBR or FKM rubber providing both flexibility and endurance
● With a size range from 600mm to 6000mm, there is something for almost every job
● Tested to withstand internal pressures of up to 25 bar and external pressure up to 8 bar
● The seals can be installed in any type of pipe material and most shapes
● Use of hydraulic tool allows for quick and easy installation
● Design life of over 50 years!
● More than 30 years of experience between our technicians
● Own production and service
● No resin, no impregnation, and no curing needed
● Can be custom made to fit your specifications